Are you wondering what to do with the kale in your fridge? Besides a sandwich or a smoothie…These kale veggie burgers are such a great way to use your kale! Not only are they delicious but they’re just as filling as your regular cheese burger, but so much healthier!
[recipe servings=4 time=42 Minutes Difficulty=Easy]
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups baby kale or regular kale, roughly chopped
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
4 hamburger buns
Toppings: shredded cabbage, onion slices, tomatoes, etc.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the kale and cook for another 2 minutes, until wilted. Turn off the heat and let cool slightly.
2. Place the beans in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Leave some whole beans for texture. Add the egg, breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix well, cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. After chilling, shape the mixture into 4 equal patties.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle some panko on a plate and press the burgers into the breadcrumbs to coat both sides.
5. Cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes per side, until crisp and golden. Work in batches as necessary to avoid crowding the pan.
6. Serve on hamburger buns with toppings of your choice.