French Onion Soup meets Pasta Bake in this delicious casserole type dish. The caramelized onions get an extra kick of umami flavor with soy sauce and maple syrup!
[recipe servings=8 time=1 Hour Difficulty=Easy]
1 Package Of Pasta
3 Yellow Onions Sliced
1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon Maple Syrup
2 Tablespoon Oil
3 Cups Of Shredded Gruyere
½ Package Of Onion Soup Mix
¼ Cup Of White Wine
¼ Cup Of Heavy Cream
½ Cup Of Fried Onions Smashed
½ Cup Of Chicken Stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Caramelize the onions by cooking them on high in a large saute pan with the oil. Be careful not to burn them, stirring them every 5 min and adjusting the heat. Deglaze the pan with white wine, scraping the brown bits on the bottom. You may have to do this a few times. Once the onions start to deepen and caramelize, add the soy sauce and maple syrup.
- While the onions are cooking, get the water boiling for the pasta and cook according to instructions, and drain.
- Mix the cooked pasta, caramelized onions, ½ package of onion soup mix, chicken stock, heavy cream, and 2 cups shredded gruyere together in the same pot that you cooked the pasta in. Transfer to a large baking dish/casserole dish and top with the extra cup of gruyere and smashed fried onions.
- Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.