Breakfast is served! Southern grits with a twist! This beautiful bowl full of grits, kale, and apples is a great way to start your day.
[recipe servings=2 time=15 Minutes Difficulty=Easy]
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Large Apple, Diced (peeled if you like)
3 Cups Chopped Kale
½ Cup Quick-Cooking Grits
¼ Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
Salt And Pepper To Taste
1. Bring 1½ cups of salted water to a rapid boil in a small saucepan.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apple and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the kale, cover, and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes. If the kale is not wilting down, add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet and cover.
3. When the water is boiling, slowly pour in the grits, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, until thick and creamy. Stir every 1-2 minutes to prevent burning.
4. Turn off the heat and season the grits with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the cheese until melted. Add more water if the grits become too thick.
5. Divide the cheesy grits between bowls and top with apples and kale.