Sweet potatoes, rolled oats, chickpeas, and BBQ sauce come together to create delicious veggie burgers! You can use whatever BBQ sauce you prefer, sweet or spicy, to give it the barbeque flavor you prefer. Top your burger with your favorite toppings and its go time![recipe servings=4 time=1 Hour 10 minutes difficulty=Medium]
1 Medium Sweet Potato
1 Can Chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed
2 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce, Plus More For Serving
¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
½ Teaspoon Sweet Paprika
½ Cup Rolled Oats
½ Red Onion, Sliced Into Rounds, For Serving
Sliced Tomatoes, Lettuce, and Pickles, For Serving
Hamburger Buns, For Serving
1. Lightly grease or line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. To cook the sweet potato, puncture it several times with a fork all over and microwave until fork-tender all the way through, 2-4 minutes. Or, slice in half and roast in a 400°F oven for about 20 minutes, until fork-tender. Peel and roughly chop the cooked sweet potato, but don’t worry about removing all of the peel.
3. In a food processor, combine the sweet potato, chickpeas, barbecue sauce, salt, paprika, and oats until well-combined.
4. Form the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties and place on a baking sheet or large plate. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, carefully flipping the burgers halfway through. Serve the burgers with toppings of choice.