Forget about the stuffed peppers! These Zucchini Boats loaded with lentils, tomatoes, onion, garlic, Panko breadcrumbs and more are to die for! This summer squash dish is sure to impress! It’s a wonderful Entrée for vegans and non-vegans.
[recipe servings=4 time=1 hour 15 Minutes Difficulty=Easy]
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
¾ Cup Green Lentils Or 1 Can Lentils, Drained And Rinsed
2 Large Zucchini
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
½ Yellow Onion, Diced
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
Pinch Hot Pepper Flakes, To Taste
1 15-Ounce Can Tomato Sauce Or Purée
½ Teaspoon Salt, To Taste
½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
½ Cup Shredded Dairy-Free Parmesan Cheese, Optional
Salt And Pepper To Taste
1. the oven to 400°F. Preheat
2. If you’re cooking the lentils, in a large pot, bring the vegetable broth and the lentils to a simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to low, and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain any excess liquid.
3. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Arrange on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
5. Add the tomato sauce and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the cooked or canned lentils and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon the lentil filling into the zucchini boats and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese (if using) and bake for another 10 minutes, until melted.